Dry Eye Treatment
Find relief from dry, itchy, irritated eyes.
Dry eyes affect millions of people in the United States. It is estimated that as many as 4.88 million Americans over the age of 50 suffer from this uncomfortable condition.
If you need help, book an appointment at Fairbury Vision Center. We’ll help you find a treatment option that brings you the relief you’re searching for.
What are the common symptoms of dry eye?
Everyone experiences dry eye differently because there are so many potential underlying causes.
Typical symptoms include:
- Redness or eyes that appear irritated and bloodshot
- Consistent burning or tingling sensations in the eyes
- Eyes that feel itchy or as if they have something in them
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights or sunlight
- Excessive tearing, or eyes that always appear watery
Bring the completed OSDI Symptom Survey to your Dry Eye Evaluation
What causes dry eye?
There are many potential causes of dry eye.
In some cases, the cause is obvious, such as environmental irritants or short-term inflammation.
Some of the other causes of chronic dry eye problems include:
- Disease of the meibomian glands
- Defects that affect the eyelid or shape of the eye
- Certain medications
- Abnormal eye pressure
- Deficiency of aqueous fluids
Because the underlying causes vary, treatment methods after diagnosis will also vary according to the patient. It is also not uncommon for there to be more than one cause for dry eye.
How is dry eye diagnosed and treated?
Our Pontiac office has the latest technology to diagnose dry eye. A Dry Eye Evaluation includes imaging of the meibomian glands, measuring the tear film quality, and screening for contributing factors. Using the Oculus Keratograph 5M, we can tell you which factors are causing your dryness. Based on this evaluation, we are able to provide customized dry eye treatment.
Some common treatments include:
- Prescription eye drops to combat inflammation
- Oral fish oil supplements
- Treating oil glands with Lipiflow
- Blinking exercises
- Proper eyelid hygiene
Dry eyes are not only uncomfortable — they can also be bad for the health of your eyes. Book an appointment at Fairbury Vision Center to find relief.